Filing for Disability Retirement


An application for disability retirement may be filed by you, the department in which you were last employed or any other person on your behalf. The application must be filed while you are employed, within four months of discontinuing service, or any time after your separation date if you have been continuously incapacitated from performing your job duties.

To obtain a disability application packet, VCERA strongly recommends that you first meet with a Benefits Specialist to be counseled on your options, disability legal standards and VCERA’s disability procedures. If you decline counseling, you will be required to sign a waiver. Please contact VCERA to schedule an appointment. (You can also download the Disability Applicant Guide below.)

If you separate from County or district service and withdraw your retirement contributions, you sever VCERA membership and forfeit all rights to file for a disability retirement.

Disability Applicant Guide